This project came about because it is my Grandson’s 2nd birthday. I was doing a Google search for alphabet puzzles and found them to be a choking hazard for his age. Which lead to Etsy to see if I can find some wood alphabet letters. No luck there. Then I got the bright idea that I should sew some alphabet blocks. Oh yes, I can do that, I said to myself!!
So off I went to the store for fabric, felt and foam. I did not care for the lumpiness of using polyfil, as I wanted them more, well, square blocks! I went with 3 colors for 13 of the blocks and 3 different colors for the alternating 13 blocks.
My fabric is cut into 3″ squares and the letters “A” and “B”, which I cut out of felt using THIS template, scaled down to 75%, as I am making 2″ blocks.
For block “A”, I followed THESE DIRECTIONS for sewing the blocks together. First sewing the 4 vertical blocks together, (using a 1/2″ seams), and stitching all the way across the fabric, from end to end.
Then the rest of the seams, sew as directed by sewing only to within a 1/2″ from end, but I was fighting with the ends that were sewed all the way and not getting crisp corners.
For block “B”, I tried THESE and it was so much easier to seam the whole “box” and my corners do look a lot better.